NEW ALBANY, Miss. (WTVA) - A member of the New Albany Police Department will soon be deployed to Afghanistan with the U.S. Army Reserve.
Sgt. Joe Keaton will be deployed for nine months beginning in January 2020.
Keaton has been with the New Albany Police Department for six years.
He has been in the Army Reserve for 31 years and has also been to Iraq, Korea and Germany.
He was 18 years old when he joined the Army Reserve. He said the most difficult part is that he will miss his family when he is deployed.
When Keaton returns, he will resume his normal spot in the police department.
Both the chief of police, Chris Robertson, and Keaton are already excited about his return.
- New Albany Police officer to be deployed
- 155th Brigade to deploy in spring 2018
- Local National Guardsmen to deploy Monday
- New Albany police warn of phone scams
- New Albany police investigate burglary at Walgreens
- New Albany police investigate Walgreens burglary
- New Albany police seek car thief
- New Albany man dies in police custody
- Police investigate shooting at New Albany restaurant
- New Albany Police seek armed robbery suspect