AMORY, Miss. (WTVA) - The president of North Mississippi Health Services issued a statement to people in Amory addressing concerns and opinions surrounding the possible purchase of the town's hospital.
Earlier this week, Sen. Hob Bryan (District 7) published an opinion piece in the Monroe County Journal indicating North Mississippi Medical Center is set to purchase Gilmore Memorial Hospital in Amory for $10.5 million.
North Mississippi Health Services owns North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo as well as its affiliated hospitals.
The Amory hospital's owning company filed for bankruptcy earlier this year, sending the longtime hospital to the auction block.
RELATED: Curae Health files for bankruptcy
In the article, Bryan expressed concern for the Amory medical community if the Tupelo-based medical company purchases the Amory hospital.
Thursday afternoon, NMHS President/CEO Shane Spees released a statement on Gilmore Memorial Hospital's Facebook page. You can read the full statement below.
Rumors and misguided opinions recently surfaced about North Mississippi Health Services’ interest in Gilmore Memorial and our plans for Gilmore if purchased by North Mississippi Health Services. So we thought the factual information below would be helpful to you. Feel free to use these facts to counter the rumors and misguided opinions should someone share rumors and opinions with you.
· North Mississippi Health Services has never acquired a hospital and limited the hospital’s services to an emergency room in order to send all patients to Tupelo.
· North Mississippi Health Services has continued to support and invest in all of the community hospitals that affiliated with the system decades ago. The investments have included facility improvements, growth in services offered and recruitment of providers to support local healthcare needs.
· North Mississippi Health Services continues to financially subsidize the operations of community hospitals that otherwise could not survive as independent hospitals.
· North Mississippi Health Services invested in services and technology so that more patients can receive more of their care in the local community rather than travel to Tupelo.
· Over the past four years, North Mississippi Health Services has recruited over 100 physicians and over 100 advance practice clinicians into more than 20 different specialties across north Mississippi.
We have an appreciation for the excellent medical staff and team at Gilmore and respect the significant community need they meet as the local healthcare provider. Therefore, we hope for success through the bankruptcy process and look forward to teaming up with Gilmore to bring long term stability to healthcare in Monroe County and surround areas."