UPDATE 10:45 A.M. - Tuesday, November 27
New Albany police identify the man as Nathan Shane May, 43. They say he was visiting at the residence when the call was made to police.
NEW ALBANY, Miss (WTVA) -- A man has died while in police custody.
New Albany Police Chief Chris Robertson says the suspect was tasered during a fight with officers.
He says around 6 p.m. Monday, police responded to a disturbance call at a home on Highway 348.
Chief Robertson says the officer found an uncontrollable white male who within seconds started fighting with the officer.
Backup was called.
When the officers arrived, the suspect began fighting all three officers as they tried to get him under control, according to police.
Police say one officer deployed a drive stun taser.
Officers were able to place the man in handcuffs.
An ambulance was called after the suspect became unresponsive.
Chief Robertson says the man later died at the hospital.
One officer was also injured.
The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation has been called to investigate.
According to police, one officer is on medical leave, and administrative action has not been taken against the other two officers.
- New Albany man dies in police custody
- UPDATE: Suspect in custody in New Albany school threat
- Police arrest New Albany man for KFC shooting
- New Albany police warn of phone scams
- New Albany police investigate burglary at Walgreens
- New Albany police investigate Walgreens burglary
- New Albany police seek car thief
- Police investigate shooting at New Albany restaurant
- New Albany Police officer to be deployed
- New Albany Police seek armed robbery suspect