JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) - The Mississippi Department of Corrections says it seized cell phones and other contraband from inmates during a recent search of inmates at the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman.
According to the agency, officers found the following items in Unit 29: 38 cell phones, 30 chargers, 40 packs of spice, 29 bags of tobacco, three bags of marijuana, 12 bags of crystal methamphetamine, 41 shanks, two free-world knives, more than 50 Green Dot numbers and four pairs of tennis shoes.
Weapons seized from inmates at Parchman (Mississippi Department of Corrections)
Contraband seized from inmates at Parchman (Mississippi Department of Corrections)
The search was conducted Friday.
Corrections Commissioner Pelicia Hall described the recent discovery as "unexpected."
The search came as six state prisons were under a lockdown, which is still in place. Regional jails holding state inmates were under a lockdown, but that has been lifted.
- Items seized from inmates during contraband search at Parchman
- Inmate escapes from Parchman
- Mississippi inmate dies in Parchman
- Coroner identifies deceased Parchman inmate
- Two state inmates missing at Parchman
- Coroner: Parchman inmate dies of natural causes
- MDOC moves many inmates from Parchman
- Pecan pie, other items found in prison contraband shakedown
- One inmate dead, others injured during riot at Parchman
- Former Parchman inmate talks about events of the past week