AMORY, Miss. (WTVA) - A mother seeks justice for her son after he was shot twice at the Moore Manor Apartments in Amory on June 29th.
"He said, 'I didn't want you guys to see me like this,' and I told him, 'I'm just glad to be able to see you,'" Dorothy Buchanan said as she told the story of the night her son was hospitalized after being shot.
Walter Friend, 24, was shot once in the side and again in the arm, Buchanan says. Doctors at the North Mississippi Medical Center had to repair his intestines as well as reconstruct his elbow, she says.
"We want justice for my son," Buchanan says. "Because, like I said, when I done wrong 26 years ago, that's what I had to do. I had face the consequences and the penalty."
It was 26 years ago when Buchanan says she shot a person at the same apartment complex, and she spent time in prison.
"I was on the news so I didn't run," Buchanan says. "Actually, I said call the police, call the ambulance, call my mama."
Police continue to look for the shooting suspect. They say they know the identity of the suspect but have not released the name yet.
Friend is in good spirits, according to Buchanan. He is out of the hospital, but he continues to receive treatment for his injuries, she says.
If you have any information on this case, contact Amory police.
- Mother seeks justice for son, shooting victim
- Mother speaks on son in deputy-involved chase, shooting
- UPDATE: Lee County investigators seek information from shooting victim
- Stuart seeking elected term as Alabama chief justice
- Family seeks justice for daughter's body found in Jackson creek
- Email leads to mother, son graduating together at ICC
- Verona shooting victim speaks out
- Police seek teen following September shooting
- Tippah County family seeks justice for dog shot in the eye
- Sister seeks justice after brother's death in 1959 racially motivated killing