MOOREVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - A Lee County student is being praised for his efforts to help hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico.
Keegan Figueroa, 14, was presented The Prudential Spirit of Community Service Silver Medallion for his service project.
He is responsible for sending 30,000 pounds of basic necessities to the U.S. territory, with the help of local businesses and students.
Figueroa said he decided to help after seeing the damage Hurricane Maria left behind in 2017.
He will now head to Washington, D.C. on May 4 because he’s in the running for a national honor.
- Mooreville teen awarded medal for Puerto Rico aid
- Fire destroys Mooreville home
- Mooreville High School 2018 graduation
- Governor hikes Puerto Rico storm toll to 2,975
- Mooreville residents react to break-in
- UPDATE: Mooreville man dies in Thursday crash
- Fire breaks out at Mooreville home
- UPDATE: Soft lockdown lifted at Mooreville school
- Wreck claims life of Mooreville resident
- Mooreville house fire kills family's pets