ABERDEEN, Miss. (WTVA) - A Monroe County woman, 70, was scammed after receiving a check in the mail for just under $90,000, according to Sheriff Cecil Cantrell.
The check was from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, and had come in a FedEx envelope, Cantrell said.
"Basically, what they were trying to get her to do is take this check and deposit it in her account,” Cantrell said. “Keep $9,000 of it and send them the rest.”
Cantrell added the woman went to a Social Security office in Columbus to see if she could cash it, and that is when the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office was notified of the scam.
If you or someone you know receives a check like this in the mail, notify your local law enforcement agency.
- Monroe sheriff warns of scam coming through mail
- Monroe County sheriff warns of rising phone caller scams
- Monroe County Electric warns of phone scam
- Monroe County warns of check scam
- Lee County sheriff warns of phone scam
- Sheriff issues warning about Lee County scam
- Lee County sheriff warns about scam
- Sheriff issues warning about phone scam
- Phone scam circulating in Monroe County
- AT&T warns of phone scam