MONROE COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - There's a warning of a check scam in Monroe County.
Monroe County Sheriff Cecil Cantrell says a woman recently received a bogus check in the mail. This specific check was for $2,300.
The scammer intended for the victim to deposit the check into her bank account, then give away the account number and other personal information.
As foolish as this seems, Cantrell says it could happen.
The person could then become the victim of identity theft.
One woman said she received a similar check in the mail and cashed it at an Aberdeen bank. Later, she says she received a call from the bank saying the check was fraudulent and needed repayment.
- Monroe County warns of check scam
- Monroe County Electric warns of phone scam
- Monroe County sheriff warns of rising phone caller scams
- Phone scam circulating in Monroe County
- Tupelo man arrested for alleged scam in Monroe County
- Lafayette County warns of phone scam
- Prentiss County warns of scam involving eBay
- Lee County sheriff warns of phone scam
- Sheriff issues warning about Lee County scam
- Tishomingo County warns of phone scam