MONROE COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - There's a warning of a check scam in Monroe County.
Monroe County Sheriff Cecil Cantrell says a woman recently received a bogus check in the mail. This specific check was for $2,300.
The scammer intended for the victim to deposit the check into her bank account, then give away the account number and other personal information.
As foolish as this seems, Cantrell says it could happen.
The person could then become the victim of identity theft.
One woman said she received a similar check in the mail and cashed it at an Aberdeen bank. Later, she says she received a call from the bank saying the check was fraudulent and needed repayment.
- Monroe County warns of check scam
- Monroe County Electric warns of phone scam
- Sixth arrest made for Monroe County check scam
- Monroe County sheriff warns of rising phone caller scams
- UPDATE: 3 arrested, 9 still wanted for Monroe check scam
- UPDATE: Eight now arrested for Monroe check scam
- Phone scam circulating in Monroe County
- Two scams circulating in Monroe County
- 12 fraudulent checks discovered in Monroe County
- Monroe sheriff warns of scam coming through mail