BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WTVA) - A native of Monroe County has been identified as the shooting victim from Wednesday's shooting at UAB's hospital in Birmingham, Alabama.
Birmingham police identified the victim who died as 63-year-old Nancy Swift, formerly of Hatley.
According to ABC 33/40 in Birmingham, she worked at the hospital.
Sometime near 6:55 p.m. on Wednesday, Birmingham police were called to UAB Highlands.
Another person in the hospital was wounded, and the gunman fatally shot himself, police said.
ABC 33/40 reports the wounded victim is an employee of Steris, a company that UAB contracts with.
"I don't think we could've imagined something like this," Family-friend Teri Wilbanks said.
Wilbanks said her mother, Debroah Culver, was one of Swift's best friends.
"If you saw Deb, my mother, you would always see Nancy not far behind," Wilbanks said.
Culver and Swift lived right next door to one another.
Swift formely attended Hatley Missionary Baptist Church and Hatley School. Her father who has since passed away, was a deacon at the church.
Swift also worked at the North Mississippi Medical Center in West Point from 1995 to 2007.
Employees describe her as well-liked and well-respected. There was a prayer service held at the hospital Thursday morning in her honor.
According to the Associated Press, authorities described the shooter as a disgruntled employee who opened fire before turning the gun on himself.
Police say a "work conflict" was the root of the shooting, reports AP.
"One day we will see her again and she will be just as beautiful as she has always been. Our loss is heavens gain," Wilbanks said.
- Hatley native dies after shooting in Birmingham hospital
- State medical examiner identifies victim of Hatley fire
- Hatley take measures to prevent spread of coronavirus
- Local native dies while saving daughter, 3, from tractor
- Okolona native, and former NFL star Jack Gregory dies
- Amazon to locate distribution center near Birmingham
- Sessions to speak in Birmingham next week
- Sheriff: Arrest made after woman pushed out of vehicle near Hatley
- Man hospitalized after Verona shooting
- Mississippi prison inmate dies in Pascagoula hospital