JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) - The Mississippi State Board of Contractors (MSBOC) reminds the public to hire licensed contractors.
The Board warns consumers to be wary of unsolicited or door-to-door offers for repairs.
In times of disaster, there are scam artists who try to take advantage of storm victims.
“If you’ve already been a victim of the storm, we don’t want you to be victimized a second time by a fraudulent contractor,” MSBOC Executive Director Stephanie Lee said.
She encourages consumers to ask for a copy of the contractor's license issued by the MSBOC and verify the license is current by using the Board’s website.
Consumers are reminded to avoid rushing into repairs, and always check references, and never provide cash payments upfront.
- Use an MSBOC licensed contractor.
- Ask for references.
- Ask for a written estimate.
- Ask for proof of insurance.
- Get a written contract.
- Ask for guarantees in writing (if separate from the contract).
- Do not sign off before the job is finished.
- Do not pay cash up front.