JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) - The state has reported its first death from the coronavirus.
According to the Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH), the man is from Hancock County but died in a Louisiana hospital.
Hancock County borders the Louisiana state border and is near New Orleans, Louisiana.
The victim was 60-65 years old and had chronic underlying conditions.
The MSDH did not identify the man.
As of Thursday afternoon, there are at least 52 confirmed cases in Mississippi.
“Many people will survive this virus with mild to severe symptoms, but we remain very concerned for those over 65 and immunocompromised populations – those most at risk to infection from this virus,” State Health Officer Dr. Thomas Dobbs said.
Helpful Link - Coronavirus: Know the basics
- Mississippi reports first coronavirus death
- Mississippi reports second coronavirus death
- REPORT: State examines child deaths in Mississippi
- Webster County man among five coronavirus deaths in Mississippi
- Mississippi reports its first presumptive positive case of coronavirus
- Mississippi reports first coronavirus case, recommends avoiding mass gatherings
- Measles exposure reported in Mississippi
- Mississippi fourth highest rate of gun deaths
- Mississippi prison investigates deaths of 2 inmates
- Third brother linked to Mississippi officer's death