YAZOO CITY, Miss. (AP) — A central Mississippi motorcyclist has died after he hit a sheriff's cruiser, was thrown onto the road, and was then hit by a Mississippi Highway Patrol vehicle.
Highway Patrol spokesman Cpl. Kervin Stewart says 19-year-old Justin Collins of Benton died in Yazoo City Sunday night before he could be taken to a hospital.
Stewart says a chase began about 11:15 p.m. when Yazoo County sheriff's deputies were called regarding motorcycles drag racing on Mississippi 149 just west of Yazoo City. Three motorcyclists sped away with deputies pursuing them. As the high-speed chase entered Yazoo City, a deputy and Collins collided and Collins was thrown from his bike onto the road. A vehicle driven by a trooper involved in the chase then hit Collins.
Stewart says the Highway Patrol is investigating.
- Mississippi motorcyclist dies after hit by state trooper
- AL troopers identify motorcyclist killed in wreck
- Sheriff: Motorcyclist dies after crash, pursuit
- State trooper involved in wreck
- Columbus wreck involves state trooper
- Troopers: Car hits cow, catches fire
- I-22 wreck injures two motorcyclists
- Motorcyclist injured in Tupelo accident
- 12-year-old dies after being hit by bulldozer in Mississippi
- Driver dies after hitting school bus in north Mississippi