JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - Another prison inmate has died in Mississippi.
This brings the total to at least 15 deaths in the state prison system since late December.
The latest death happened Saturday at Wilkinson County Correctional Facility. The prison is run by a private company, Management & Training Corporation.
A company spokesman says 39-year-old Jesus Garcia was found unresponsive in his cell and medical staff tried to revive him. The death is being investigated.
The spokesman says there were “no obvious signs of assault.”
Garcia was serving a 20-year sentence on a capital rape conviction from northern Mississippi's DeSoto County. He was sentenced in 2006.
- Mississippi has at least 15th inmate death in recent weeks
- Report: 15th Mississippi inmate dies in August; MDOC requests help
- Mississippi inmate's death last week was 76th in 2018
- Mississippi prison investigates deaths of 2 inmates
- Fifth inmate killed in Mississippi this week
- Mississippi inmate dies in Parchman
- Mississippi inmate death toll rises amid emergency extension
- Mississippi prison inmate dies in Pascagoula hospital
- Louisville community seeks change after recent deaths of local teens
- Name of inmate released following jail death