STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - President George H.W. Bush may not have attended Mississippi State University, but it did not stop him from visiting the Starkville campus.
School officials say in May 1989, President Bush visited Mississippi State University. He is pictured with U.S. Representative Sonny Montgomery before he was to deliver the commencement address.
They say the men were House freshmen together and remained lifelong friends.
The president later returned to MSU to honor Montgomery at halftime of the MSU-Arkansas game in November 2000 at Davis Wade Stadium.
School officials say Bush's friendship with Montgomery made him a bulldog fan.
- MSU remembers President George H.W. Bush
- Former President George H.W. Bush dead at 94
- Nation stands still to honor former President George H.W. Bush
- Bob Dole helped out of his wheelchair to salute George H.W. Bush
- MSU remembers softball player Alex Wilcox
- MSU president visits Tupelo High School
- MSU community holding vigil to remember victims of Pittsburgh shooting
- George P. Bush says grandfather's funeral an opportunity to put aside political differences
- President Trump nominates MSU alum for USDA position
- MSU's Andy Cannizaro resigns