IUKA, Miss. (WTVA) - The Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial beginning of the summer season, which means boating and water activities.
According to Lt. Ricky Barry of the Mississippi Department of Wildlife Fisheries and Parks, alcohol is the number one cause of boating accidents, and that drinking and boating, just like driving, do not mix.
He urges boaters to use a U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket.
Barry said the state department has a new vessel that will be out and about on Pickwick Lake, which is usually a popular destination.
There will be officers all across Mississippi's waterways.
- Memorial Day Safety: This weekend kicks off boating season
- Summertime boating safety is key
- Aberdeen celebrates Memorial Day
- Golden Globe nominations kick off Hollywood's award season
- Tippah Co. residents celebrate Memorial Day
- Tupelo honors fallen patriots on Memorial Day
- Memorial Day crash kills Louisville woman
- Memorial Day gas prices remain stubbornly high
- Memorial Day crash kills Mantachie man
- Wilcox memorial service postponed