ELLISVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - State Senator Chris McDaniel says he will make an announcement early next week about his political future.
The Republican from Ellisville posted on Facebook Saturday night that he will make that announcement live on Facebook at 6 p.m. Monday.
"Next week should be interesting," McDaniel said at the end of his Facebook post.
McDaniel has said he has been looking at a run for the United States Senate in the GOP primary against incumbent Senator Roger Wicker of Tupelo. Qualifying for that primary ends March 1 at 5 p.m.
There has been speculation he could run for Senator Thad Cochran's seat if the senior senator decides to step down or run for lieutenant governor next year. McDaniel tried to unseat Cochran in 2014 but lost.
- McDaniel expected to clarify political future Monday
- REPORT: McDaniel expected to challenge Wicker for U.S. Senate
- McDaniel scheduled to appear in Tupelo
- POLL: Wicker could face tough primary challenge from McDaniel
- McDaniel: I'm still debating whether to challenge Wicker
- Chris McDaniel says he'll challenge Roger Wicker in primary
- McDaniel to run for Cochran's U.S. Senate seat, not Wicker's
- Chris McDaniel says he will not run for governor
- POLL: Hyde-Smith fares better in runoff for U.S. Senate than McDaniel
- Hillary Clinton clarifies that she will support the Democratic nominee -- even if it's Bernie Sanders