STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - After 74 percent of Starkville residents voted to implement a 1 percent tax increase on food, beverage and lodging, Mayor Lynn Spruill said the next step is planning a timeline for Mckee Park and Sportsplex improvements.
Spruill said the tax increase takes effect on August 1.
The 1 percent tax increase now makes two percent dedicated to the improvements of existing parks and the construction of Cornerstone Park.
Spruill, along with other city administrators, will discuss a timeline to transform Mckee Park and to improve the soccer fields at the Sportsplex before starting construction of Cornerstone Park.
Spruill speculated about $2 million from the $18-20 million bond issue will support McKee Park, the Sportsplex and Cornerstone Park.
- Starkville mayor discusses next step for Cornerstone Park
- Starkville park vandalized
- Starkville leaders discuss 1 percent tax increase
- Starkville mayor upset over pride parade decision
- Lynn Spruill confirmed mayor of Starkville
- Former Starkville mayoral candidate Johnny Moore dies
- Starkville mayor increases safety in town
- Starkville mayor says police captured shooter, accomplice
- Starkville looks to fix parking problems
- Starkville hires new Park and Recreation Director