MATHISTON, Miss. (WTVA) - Police are working to identify two people who are allegedly cashing fake payroll checks at local businesses in Alabama and Mississippi.
The checks, cashed by two men, have been reported in Red Bay, Alabama; Belmont, Mississippi; and Mathiston.
Police are using surveillance footage captured in Red Bay to identify the two men.
One of the latest reports of a fraudulent payroll check cashed at a local business comes from the Gilliland Piggly Wiggly in late January.
"My first thought was, 'Here we go again," said Co-owner Jay Gilliland. "We’ve had this before. This is not the first time; it will not be the last, but we take all the precautions that we can without making it hard on the customers.”
Police Chief Justin Brown said the two individuals will be charged with uttering forgery when they are in custody.
- Mathiston police are trying to identify two people in fraud investigation
- Tupelo police ask for help identifying credit card fraud suspect
- Police charge woman with ID fraud
- Tupelo police seek credit fraud suspect
- Tupelo police look to solve fraud case
- Oktibbeha County investigators seek identities in credit card fraud case
- Booneville woman arrested for fraud
- Police investigating NEMCC theft
- Police investigate Aberdeen shooting
- Police investigate Verona shooting