MANTACHIE, Miss. (WTVA) - Mantachie Elementary School Principal Jamie Dill lost a bet to his students that sent him to the school's roof.
“They put me on the roof,” he said.
Dill set an 8,000-book reading goal in August for the current school year.
The students were up for the challenge, and they exceeded by reading more than 10,000 books.
One student said they were motivated to see their principal on the roof.
The school’s librarian Amanda Crump said she and Dill have previously used wild ideas to promote reading, and the roof seemed like a great idea.
The students also raffled off tickets for a Disney vacation. Because they sold 800 tickets, Dill was forced to kiss a cow twice.
Dill is set to retire soon, but he hopes his students will never forget to pick up a book and make an impact.
- Mantachie school principal loses bet to students
- Mantachie man dies from rollover
- Overnight fire destroys Mantachie home
- Dollar General surprises Mantachie schools with $5,000 checks
- Fire destroys Mantachie home, taxidermy business
- Man pleads guilty in Mantachie murder case
- Marshals take wanted Mantachie man into custody
- Two from Tupelo charged with Mantachie burglaries
- Mantachie man charged with kidnapping, armed robbery
- Minor injuries reported after Mantachie collision