Editor's Note: This article has been updated to reflect the latest information provided.
LOWNDES COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - A man is now in the Lowndes County jail accused of kidnapping his estranged girlfriend.
Christopher Tedford, 19, of Columbus, was arrested Tuesday night. Lowndes County Chief Deputy Marc Miley says Tedford was found hiding in the trunk of a car.
He is accused of abducting Carrie Pannell at a home on Tony Cove on Tuesday, December 5. She was later found safe and unharmed.
Miley says Pannell and unnamed male witness went to the home on Tuesday to pick up Tedford. When they arrived, the witness went inside the house. While inside, the witness says he heard screaming outside.
Miley says the witness looked out and saw Tedford jumping into the vehicle and Pannell screaming. The vehicle quickly left the area at a high-rate of speed.
Around 5:30 p.m., officers were able to locate Pannell but Tedford fled.
As a result of his arrest, Tedford faces charges of kidnapping, burglary, resisting arrest and other misdemeanor charges. His bond has not been set.
- UPDATE: Columbus man charged with kidnapping estranged girlfriend
- Man charged with assaulting girlfriend in Columbus
- Columbus man charged with assaulting ex-girlfriend
- Columbus man arrested on kidnapping charges
- Columbus man accused of assaulting girlfriend
- UPDATE: Man arrested, charged following Columbus shooting
- UPDATE: Boyfriend arrested for shooting at girlfriend in Columbus
- Man arrested on kidnapping charges
- Columbus man charged with cyberstalking
- UPDATE: Man charged in Columbus shooting headed back to Mississippi