COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) -- A Columbus man suffered burns to his stomach Sunday night after a small explosion occured during the manufacture of "homemade" fireworks.
Columbus police say the 27-year-old man was in the living room of the home when the accident occured around 7:30 p.m. Sunday on 12th Street North.
Investigators say the man was working with fireworks chemicals when some of the material ignited.
Two people at the home drove the man to the hospital where he was treated and released.
Columbus firefighters and the Tupelo Police Department Bomb Squad responded to the scene and a small amount of fireworks chemicals were removed.
Police Chief Fred Shelton says there was never any danger to the public.
The case is still under investigation from the Columbus Police Department.
- Man making homemade fireworks injured in explosion
- Man injured in Tupelo house fire
- Tips to be safe with fireworks during July 4th celebrations
- Update: State fire marshal to investigate fireworks stand blaze
- Noxubee County investigates hit-and-run that injured man
- Monroe County man injured in Alabama train collision
- Drive-by shooting injures man in Lafayette County
- Explosion at Mississippi shipyard leaves employee critical
- Explosion in Bruce, murder or gas leak?
- I-22 wreck injures two motorcyclists