LOWNDES COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - A family is looking for answers after their relative was shot in a reported drive-by in Lowndes County on Friday night.
Loved ones identify the victim as 58-year-old Sonya Johnson.
“My grandma was yelling," recalls Camron Johnson, the victim's 14-year-old grandson. "When I ran up in here I saw her on the floor, blood.”
The teenager tells WTVA he immediatley dialed 911 and then his mother.
“I was confused," Johnson said. "I didn’t know what happened, I didn’t know who did it, but somebody did it.”
An in-law who lives near to the family says he got word of the shooting from his brother.
“She’s talking and asking why it happened," said Pierre Ross Sr. of the victim. "We don’t have a clue why it happened.”
The family says the victim was shot in the chest and that the bullet exited through her back. She is recovering in the ICU with three broken ribs and punctured lung.
“Ms. Sonya is the nicest person you could ever meet," Ross said. "Everybody calls her “Nanna,” that’s everybody’s grandma."
The family says it's a miracle Johnson is okay, but they're at a loss as to why the shooting happened in first place.
“I just want to know who did it. Whoever did it, they were wrong for that, they were.”
No person of interest or suspect has been named. This is an ongoing investigation.
LOWNDES COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - One person was taken to the Baptist Memorial Hospital after a shooting in Lowndes County Friday night.
The emergency call came in around 9pm. The shooting happened near a trailer home on Hughes Road close to Robin Street.
Investigators have been on the scene for nearly two hours gathering evidence.
Sheriff Mike Arledge says there is no one in custody at the time.
- UPDATE: Family identifies grandmother injured in Lowndes County shooting
- UPDATE: Shooting suspect arrested in Lowndes County
- UPDATE: Subject in fatal standoff in Lowndes County identified
- UPDATE: Victims identified in Lowndes County fatal accident
- Husband injured, woman charged in Lowndes County
- One injured in Lowndes County rollover
- Two injured after Lowndes County crash
- Lowndes County collision injures two people
- UPDATE: Victim in Lowndes County shooting expected to recover
- UPDATE: Video, vehicle description could help solve Lowndes County shooting