MONTEZUMA, Iowa (AP) — Police say a man in the country illegally has been charged with murder in the death of Iowa college student Mollie Tibbetts.
A charge of 1st-degree murder has been filed against 24-year-old Cristhian Bahena Rivera. If convicted, the charge carries a mandatory sentence of life in prison.
Investigators say they used surveillance video in tracking down Rivera. The video showed Tibbetts jogging in a rural area near her hometown of Brooklyn as well as Rivera's car.
Police had searched the area but noted her body was found in a field, covered with corn stalks.
- Man charged with murder in Tibbetts' death
- UPDATE: Mooreville woman charged with murder in man's death
- UPDATE: Two charged with capital murder in Corinth man's death
- Man charged with murder in Kilmichael
- Man charged with murder for Grenada shooting
- 4 charged with capital murder in death of Lafayette County man
- Noxubee County man pleads guilty to murder charges
- UPDATE: Man charged with murder in Oktibbeha County homicide
- Jury indicts man charged with murdering another at Columbus motel
- UPDATE: Man charged with attempted murder after abduction