CLAY COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - A young man in Clay County has been charged with animal cruelty after investigators found him in possession of a tied-up deer.
Charles Young | Photo: Clay County Jail
According to the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks (MDWFP), department investigators arrested 24-year-old Charles Young on Wednesday.
Officer Chris Reed with MDWFP says on January 31 investigators received tips and complaints about social media posts concerning the animal.
Investigators found enough evidence to ask for a search warrant of Young's home.
When officers executed the search warrant, they found a whitetail deer being illegally held by Young. Reed says the deer was the only animal on the property.
Reed says the deer was tied up with a strap like a dog. He says the deer was in poor condition.
Reed says investigators followed department policy, which resulted in the deer being euthanized. He says in cases like this, restrained deer may become a safety hazard once they are released into the wild.
As a result, Young was arrested and charged with one count of animal cruelty, one count of unlawful sale of a game animal, and one count of unlawful possession of a game species.
Reed says Young was trying to sell the deer.
- Man charged with abuse of deer in Clay County
- Houston man charged with Clay County burglary
- Man charged with burglary in Clay County
- Two men charged for Clay County burglary
- Men face drug charges in Clay County
- Clay County collision kills one
- Trio charged with robbing and kidnapping a Clay County family
- Columbus men face drug charges in Clay County
- Domestic call leads to weapons charge in Clay County
- New Orleans man charged with child abuse in Oktibbeha County