WEST POINT, Miss. (WTVA) - West Point police arrest a man for burglary.
Chester "Chad" Kellum, 41, was arrested by police on Thursday, June 28.
Police say the incident happened on East Street on June 26.
He's charged with burglary of a vehicle and burglary of inner door of dwelling.
Police say Kellum had been asked to watch the home of a family while they were away.
"They were pretty much trying to give him an opportunity to work for something," said Investigator Ramirez Ivy. "But he took advantage of their kindness."
Ivy says Kellum was out of prison on parole when a camera recorded him breaking into the home and a car. Police say he took personal items during the break-ins.
"The value of the items were near $1,000."
"If you're going on vacation or something, we have a watch program here at the police department," said Assistant Chief Kennedy Meaders. "We will check it periodically to make sure it is the same way you left it."
Police also advise people to make sure to follow basic rules such as locking doors and windows.
- Man arrested in West Point for burglary
- West Point police arrest auto burglary suspect
- West Point man accused of burglary
- Man arrested by West Point police for burglary, grand larceny
- West Point police see rash of burglaries
- West Point police search for burglary suspect
- West Point police identify auto burglary suspect
- West Point police arrest two following two burglaries
- West Point police make an arrest in burglaries
- Man arrested for West Point stabbings