STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - A Mississippi State football player is accused of starving a dog at his apartment.
An MSU spokesman confirmed to WTVA Tuesday night, that offensive lineman Michael Story, was suspended from the team on Saturday.
The team is still practicing for their preseason game in two weeks, but head Coach Joe Moorhead said Story has not practiced since the arrest.
“When we were made aware of the incident involving Micheal on Saturday morning, I imposed an immediate and indefinite suspension of Micheal," the coach said.
Story was arrested on Saturday, August 18 on two local warrants for no insurance and speeding. He also faces the misdemeanor charge of aggravated cruelty to a cat or dog.
According to court documents obtained by WTVA, Story is accused of intentionally starving a Great Dane, named Kodak.
The documents state Story shut the dog in the back room of his apartment and did not feed or water the dog for several days.
Story later stated the dog had been in the bedroom of the apartment for roughly a week’s time, according to court documents.
The documents state this all happened within the city limits. He was released from jail. His coaches are handling his disciplinary actions.
“We talk to our team all the time about decision making and conduct off the field, and it is something we stress every day," said Head Football Coach Joe Moorhead. "The discipline of this will be handled accordingly.”
Story, a redshirt junior from Ripley, has played in 14 career games, drawing two starts at left guard.
It is too premature to say who will take his place on the team next, according to Moorhead.
- MSU football player accused of animal cruelty
- MSU football player Reggie Todd arrested
- UPDATE: Man charged with animal cruelty in Monroe County
- Two face animal cruelty in Alabama after starving dogs found
- Pontotoc woman arrested in Florida for animal cruelty
- MSU remembers softball player Alex Wilcox
- Former MSU, Ole Miss football players killed in the last week
- Ole Miss, MSU receive early football signees
- MSU adding metal detectors at football games
- Crash kills EMCC football player, injures two other players