JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) – The Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) is offering free radon test kits during Radon Action Month.
Radon is an odorless, colorless, radioactive gas found in nature. A connection has been made to lung cancer.
“More than 20,000 Americans die of radon-related lung cancer each year, and radon cause of up 15 percent of lung cancers worldwide,” MSDH stated.
The gas moves upward out of the soil and into the air, where it can enter and accumulate in homes.
The department says in Mississippi, fewer than three percent of homes have radon levels in excess of the EPA recommended action level of 4 picoCuries of radon per liter of air.
“However because of the geology of the area, higher levels of radon are typically measured in northeastern Mississippi counties.”
To test your home for radon, call the MSDH Radon Hotline at 1-800-626-7739 for a free test kit while supplies last.
- MSDH says patient information accidentally shared
- MSDH: Naloxone now available from Mississippi pharmacists
- UPDATE: MSDH lifts boil water alert for Hamilton Water District
- MSDH reports first pediatric flu death of 2017-2018 season
- MSDH: New case of West Nile in north Mississippi
- MSDH: Boil water notice issued for some in Chickasaw County
- Pediatric flu shots available at MSDH county clinics
- MSDH: Some in Saltillo advised to boil their water
- Local barber students offering free haircuts