JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) – Following a fatality-free Christmas enforcement period, the Mississippi Highway Patrol will begin its New Year’s enforcement period on Friday.
The period is from Friday at 6 p.m. to Monday, January 1 at midnight.
Much like Christmas, troopers will be conducting safety checkpoints at various locations in order to remove impaired drivers from the roadways.
During the 2016 New Year’s period, troopers investigated 94 vehicle crashes, including four deaths on state, federal highways and interstate systems.
“If plans include alcohol, please designate a sober driver before festivities start. No one should begin 2018 with being arrested, facing medical bills, legal fees and perhaps losing their job. Responsible decisions ensure safe travel and allow us to enjoy time spent with family and friends,” stated Capt. Johnny Poulos.
- MHP to begin New Year's enforcement period Friday
- MHP begins July 4th enforcement period
- MHP's Thanksgiving holiday enforcement period begins Wednesday
- MHP to begin Christmas enforcement period
- MHP to begin Memorial Day enforcement period on Friday
- MHP investigates one death during New Year's enforcement period
- MHP: Zero deaths recorded during Christmas enforcement period
- Troopers set to begin Labor Day enforcement period
- Natchez Trace rangers begin Labor Day enforcement period
- Two traffic deaths recorded by MHP during July 4th period