JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) – The Mississippi Highway Patrol will soon begin its Christmas Travel Enforcement Period to prevent roadway deaths.
This year’s initiative is called “Making It Home for the Holidays.”
The period will begin on Friday, December 22 at 6 p.m. It will end on Monday, December 25 at midnight.
MHP says all available troopers will be used on all state, federal and interstate systems to combat reckless driving along with speeding and distracted driving issues.
Safety checkpoints will also be set up.
According to MHP, troopers investigated 141 crashes and three deaths during the 2016 Christmas enforcement period.
“Our goal is for everyone to make it home for the holidays,” said Captain Johnny Poulos.
- MHP to begin Christmas enforcement period
- MHP's Thanksgiving holiday enforcement period begins Wednesday
- MHP begins July 4th enforcement period
- MHP: Zero deaths recorded during Christmas enforcement period
- MHP to begin New Year's enforcement period Friday
- MHP to begin Memorial Day enforcement period on Friday
- MHP investigates one death during New Year's enforcement period
- Natchez Trace rangers begin Labor Day enforcement period
- Troopers set to begin Labor Day enforcement period
- Two traffic deaths recorded by MHP during July 4th period