JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) - The Mississippi Highway Patrol (MHP) reported three deaths during its New Year’s holiday enforcement period.
The period began on Tuesday and ended Wednesday night.
During this time, troopers issued 3,526 citations and made 79 DUI arrests.
Troopers made 18 DUI arrests in Troop F, which is comprised of Itawamba, Lee, Pontotoc, Union, Prentiss, Tishomingo, Alcorn, Tippah and Benton counties.
They made 24 DUI arrests in Troop G, which is comprised of Monroe, Chickasaw, Calhoun, Webster, Clay, Lowndes, Oktibbeha, Choctaw, Winston and Noxubee counties.
Troopers investigated 81 crashes which left 23 people injured and three people dead.
According to MHP, the three deaths happened in Lamar, Marshall and Jasper counties.
Troopers reported no alcohol-related crashes in Troop F and G.
- MHP reported three deaths during New Year's enforcement period
- MHP investigates one death during New Year's enforcement period
- MHP: Zero deaths recorded during Christmas enforcement period
- MHP to start New Year's enforcement period next week
- MHP records 10 deaths during Thanksgiving period
- MHP: 1 death reported during Memorial Day period
- Two traffic deaths recorded by MHP during July 4th period
- MHP: 1 death reported in Union County rollover
- Troopers begin Christmas travel enforcement period
- Alabama troopers report 11 deaths during Thanksgiving holiday period