JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) – Unlike the Christmas enforcement period, the Mississippi Highway Patrol investigated one death during its New Year’s enforcement period.
The New Year’s enforcement period started on Friday and ended on New Year’s Day at midnight.
Troopers issued 4,761 citations with 68 DUI arrests. Troopers also investigated 119 motor vehicle crashes, which included 18 injuries and one death.
That death occurred in the early morning hours of New Year’s Day in Pontotoc County. As a result of the crash, 19-year-old Ladaja Neely, of Pontotoc, died.
During the Christmas enforcement period, troopers investigated zero deaths.
Here is a breakdown of the WTVA viewing area for New Year's:
Troop F (Lee, Itawamba, Pontotoc, Union, Prentiss, Tippah, Alcorn, Tishomingo, Benton) – 794 citations, 16 DUI arrests, 15 collisions, 7 injuries
Troop G (Chickasaw, Monroe, Calhoun, Webster, Clay, Oktibbeha, Lowndes, Noxubee, Winston, Choctaw) – 674 citations, 9 DUI arrests, 8 collisions, 0 injuries
- MHP investigates one death during New Year's enforcement period
- MHP reported three deaths during New Year's enforcement period
- MHP: Zero deaths recorded during Christmas enforcement period
- MHP to start New Year's enforcement period next week
- MHP records 10 deaths during Thanksgiving period
- Two traffic deaths recorded by MHP during July 4th period
- MHP: 1 death reported during Memorial Day period
- MHP investigates Alcorn motorcycle crash
- MHP investigates 3 deaths during Labor Day holiday
- Troopers begin Christmas travel enforcement period