JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) – Troopers investigated 236 crashes during a two-day period in the middle of the state’s winter weather.
Beginning Tuesday and ending Wednesday at midnight, Mississippi Highway Patrol troopers also responded to 605 calls for assistance on state, federal highways and interstate systems.
“The huge number of calls for assistance involved vehicles sliding off roadways, stranded motorists and disabled vehicles,” stated Captain Johnny Poulos.
In a release Thursday, MHP did not list any weather-related fatalities. However, two people did die in a crash Wednesday on Interstate 59 in Jasper County. However, Poulos says this was not weather-related and is currently under investigation.
“As the system continues to move through the state and road conditions remain dangerous, we urge motorists to make good decisions in regards to driving,” Poulos finished.
- MHP: Troopers busy during winter weather
- Former MHP trooper indicted following fatal wreck
- MHP sign in Itawamba County remembers former trooper
- MHP: Troopers on scene of serious crash in Prentiss County
- MHP investigates Alcorn motorcycle crash
- MHP: Driver dies in fiery collision
- MHP's Thanksgiving holiday enforcement period begins Wednesday
- MHP: No injuries in Tishomingo County wreck
- MHP to begin Christmas enforcement period
- MHP begins campaign to reduce fatalities