PARCHMAN, Miss. (WTVA) - Some Parchman inmates were moved following a violent outbreak at the State Penitentiary last week.
The Mississippi Department of Corrections is moving the inmates to nearby Tallahatchie County Correctional Facility in Tutwiler. The state contracted with CoreCivic to immediately house up to 375 maximum-security inmates initially for 90 days.
State prison leaders said Unit 29 at Parchman, where the inmates were housed, has a failing infrastructure and needs repair and renovation. They said cleaning continues there from recent acts of vandalism.
Four Parchman inmates have died since the beginning of the new year, three of which happened in the unit.
Two of the deaths were gang-related. The remaining two were the result of a fight among cellmates and natural causes, respectively.
- MDOC identifies dead Parchman inmate
- MDOC moves many inmates from Parchman
- Inmate escapes from Parchman
- Mississippi inmate dies in Parchman
- Coroner identifies deceased Parchman inmate
- Inmate found dead at Parchman
- 14th MDOC inmate dies in August
- Two state inmates missing at Parchman
- Coroner: Parchman inmate dies of natural causes
- Parchman inmate found dead Wednesday morning