GRENADA, Miss. (WTVA) - State environmental officials have issued a water contact advisory for a section of the Yalobusha River in Grenada.
The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality issued the advisory on Thursday.
The affected section is from the confluence with Batupan Bogue downstream to the Interstate 55 bridge.
This is being issued due to two ongoing sewer bypasses just south of the Yalobusha River.
Grenada City Manager Trey Baker said two manholes need to be plugged.
MDEQ recommends people avoid water contact such as swimming, wading and fishing.
People should also not eat fish or anything else that is taken from the water until further notice.
Baker said the advisory is precautionary.
Officials will collect samples and monitor the water quality in the river and will revise the advisory as needed.
- MDEQ issues water contact advisory for Yalobusha River
- UPDATE: MDEQ lifts water contact advisory in Oktibbeha County
- MDEQ revises water contact advisory in Oktibbeha County
- MDEQ issues water contact advisory for Hollis Creek in Oktibbeha County
- MDEQ awards grants to local counties
- Woman missing in Yalobusha County
- Yalobusha County teen found safe
- Indictment made in Yalobusha County bank robbery
- Yalobusha Co. family worries rain threatens home
- Five arrested for drugs in Yalobusha County