BOONEVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - Booneville police have released a statement stating that five overdose victims all used drugs containing fentanyl and acetyl fentanyl.
Booneville Police Chief Michael Ramey released the following statement on Tuesday.
“We are investigating a series of reported cases of overdose of illegal narcotics. The narcotics are laced with fentanyl and acetyl fentanyl. They are in pill and/or powder form. We have confirmed three hospitalized individuals and two who are deceased as a result of ingesting these narcotics. Evidence gathered from one of the scenes was taken to the MS State Crime Lab today and tested positive for the two listed substances. We want to make the public aware of how dangerous these substances are. This is still an ongoing investigation with our agency, the Northeast MS Narcotics Unit, and the MS Bureau of Narcotics.”
Do not touch these substances due to the potential potency, Ramey warned, and immediately contact the Booneville Police Department at 662-728-5611.
“Evidence gathered from a scene was taken to the MS State Crime Lab and tested positive for fentanyl and acetyl fentanyl,” Ramey said. “They are in pill and/or powder form and we want to make the public aware how dangerous these substances are.”
Prentiss County Coroner Greg Sparks said the two deaths did not happen at the same home but are believed to be connected.
WTVA has learned the identity of one deceased victim - Veronica Kimble. She was found on Jacinto Road.
The identity of the second deceased victim has not been released.
The Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics is also looking into the deaths.
“This should serve as a warning for all Mississippians engaged in the use of illicit narcotics,” said Marshall Fisher, Mississippi Department of Public Safety commissioner. “Fentanyl can be easily mistaken for less powerful opioids and distributed by unscrupulous drug dealers who have no other interests beyond profits from the sale of illegal narcotics.”
- State investigates overdose deaths in Booneville
- Booneville police investigate Walmart theft
- Booneville police provide update on infant's death
- Fire crews investigating after Booneville motel fire
- Booneville police investigate drug store crash
- Booneville police investigate armed robbery at KFC
- Booneville police investigating pawn shop burglary
- Multiple arrests in Booneville
- Mississippi toughening up narcotics overdose investigations
- Family speaks out after hot-car death in Booneville