UPDATE: 6:30 p.m. 4/29/18
STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - A man sits behind bars facing murder charges after the shooting death of an Ackerman man.
Ours news partner the Starkville Daily News reports James Dustin Nixon, 31, had an initial court appearance Sunday where bond was set at $100,000.
Nixon sits in the Oktibbeha County jail. His next court appearance has not been set.
It is unclear at this time what prompted the incident as the investigation continues.
STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - A man from Ackerman was found dead, from a gunshot wound in a vehicle near the Longview community on Highway 12.
Communications Director for the Mississippi Department of Public Safety Warren Strain said the Mississippi Highway Patrol was initially called to the scene due to what was reported as a car wreck.
The call came in to the Mississippi Highway Patrol at 11:20 a.m. Saturday, when troopers arrived they discovered the body.
Strain says a person-of-interest is in custody.
Our news partner the Starkville Daily News says the Oktibbeha County Deputy Coroner Billy Miller identified the deceased man as 26-year-old Shawn Stricklin.
The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation is handling the case.
- UPDATE: Man charged with murder in Oktibbeha County homicide
- UPDATE: Friends remember Oktibbeha County murder victim
- UPDATE: Two men wanted for Oktibbeha County assault charged
- UPDATE: Missing teen found in Oktibbeha County
- New Orleans man charged with child abuse in Oktibbeha County
- Tennessee man charged with sexual battery in Oktibbeha County
- Starkville man charged with manslaughter in Oktibbeha County death
- Bond denied for Starkville man charged in Oktibbeha County death
- Man sought by Oktibbeha County sheriff's deputies
- Starkville man killed in Oktibbeha County wreck