VERONA, Miss. (WTVA) - A local school for barbers is taking its classroom on the road to Verona Elementary School.
Nicholaus White is the owner of the CNK Barber College.
"A good haircut just makes you feel better," White said.
Students from the CNK Barber College travel to Tupelo and Lee County schools each week, offering free haircuts.
Daniel Brown is enrolled in the CNK Barber College.
"Well, it's kinda nice to cut kids' hair. Everyone isn't as fortunate as others," Brown adds.
You will notice fades and designs. More importantly, you will notice smiles.
"Every now and then, they say they want a design or a part and I'll give it to them. It's good to see their smiles after their cuts," Brown said.
The program has grown since its beginning five years ago.
While this is hands-on education for the barbers, White said he saw a need within the community.
"We do a lot of mentoring. We talk to the kids about how school if going, about their grades, what do they want to be when they grow up, get them to start dreaming now at a young age. You never know, we may have a barber here," White said.
The free haircuts offer a confidence booster. A positive difference that is seen when returning to class.
"It inspires them to work hard in the classroom," White said.
White said he plans to have students from the CNK Barber College plan to soon offer this service for students in Chickasaw County.
- Local barber students offering free haircuts
- Local church offers free Thanksgiving meal
- Barnes & Noble is offering free download of the Mueller report
- Feds free up funds for local water upgrades
- Skilled to Work: Local business offers job opportunity to veterans
- Free storm spotter class
- Free legal clinics upcoming
- CORRECTION: Subway not offering free food in U.S. for Valentine's Day
- MSU to offer free tuition to eligible Mississippi National Guard service members