COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - An inmate has died after he was found unresponsive in a Lowndes County jail cell.
Lowndes County Sheriff Mike Arledge says the 26-year-old inmate was found on Thursday at approximately 5:08 p.m.
The sheriff says jail personnel performed CPR and used an automatic external defibrillator in an attempt to revive the man.
The man was then transported to Baptist Memorial Hospital in Columbus.
Arledge says the inmate died Friday at 5:17 a.m.
Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant later identified the inmate as Jefferson Russell Finch.
The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation is conducting an investigation into the death.
Another inmate death was reported Friday in nearby Clay County.
- UPDATE: Coroner identifies deceased Lowndes County inmate
- Lowndes County coroner identifies Columbus body
- Tippah County coroner identifies deceased in church shooting
- Lowndes County inmate dies
- UPDATE: Coroner identifies Monroe County shooting victims
- Coroner identifies Tupelo shooting victim
- UPDATE: Coroner identifies victim of fatal Lee County fire
- Monroe County coroner identifies homicide victim
- UPDATE: Family identifies grandmother injured in Lowndes County shooting
- UPDATE: Victims identified in Lowndes County fatal accident