TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - A local school will soon have a new playground thanks to a grant from the Lowe's Educational Foundation.
Representatives from the company presented a check to Thomas Street Elementary in Tupelo for $34,000 for the improvements.
Principal Cindy Pike says that the money will go toward the kindergarten playground to make it safer and more challenging.
"We're going to be able to add a special-needs playground area for our multi-handicapped class and children who are not able to get on regular playground equipment. It's going to give them an area to play and to grow socially and physically," Pike said.
"Well it's great because knowing that we are involved in the community and we've got a future here with these young children and we're helping to develop them. So it's a great feeling," said Lowe's Tupelo Store Manager Phillip Blanchard.
The school PTO will put together a group of volunteers to do most of the work building and landscaping.
- Lowe's provides funds for school playground
- Alabama awards funding for low-income families for winter months
- Houlka receives new playground equipment for fitness
- State lawmakers pass funding for public schools
- Alabama unemployment rate matches all-time low
- Alabama unemployment rate is at historic low
- Mississippi sees record low unemployment in November
- Mississippi sees record low unemployment in December
- Low temperatures equal high heating bills
- Mississippi continues to see record low unemployment