JACKSON, Miss. — Saturday Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti endorsed Mike Espy in his race to be Mississippi's U.S. Senator. Mayor Garcetti announced his support of Espy at a forum with supporters at the St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church in Olive Branch.
"I'm a mayor, and that's why I'm endorsing Mike Espy--because he's going to get things done for his state and our country," Garcetti said. "We're tired of the Washington status quo. Mike Espy is going to make things happen to make people's lives better today and to prepare us for the future."
Espy, who is running to fill the unexpired term of Senator Thad Cochran, formerly represented Mississippi's 2nd Congressional District and later served as U.S. Secretary of Agriculture.
"I'm grateful to Mayor Garcetti for his support in this race," Espy said. "This endorsement shows that the rest of the country is starting to pay attention to this race, because we have the momentum here in Mississippi to make history. People are excited about our vision for jobs, economic development, education, and our young people. We're grateful that the mayor could come share his experiences in Los Angeles and hear from Mississippi citizens about their hope for the future."
- Los Angeles mayor endorses Mike Espy for U.S. Senate
- Trump tweets 'total endorsement' for Mississippi senator
- President Trump endorses Wicker in U.S. Senate race
- Tupelo mayor announces bid for U.S. Senate
- Tupelo Mayor Jason Shelton's U.S. Senate campaign moving forward
- Tupelo Mayor Jason Shelton drops out of U.S. Senate race
- THE MIKE FILES: Churches stepping up security
- THE MIKE FILES: Death in Choctaw County
- THE MIKE FILES: How do inmates escape?
- More than 1,000 baskets prepared for guardian angel program