WINSTON COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - A Winston County man is dead after a house fire Sunday night.
The fire has been ruled accidental and it was a propane tank that exploded after being exposed to extreme heat.
“I heard a big boom and the windows shook, the house shook,” Danny Arnold said.
Arnold remembers the devastating moments he knew his neighbor had died late Sunday night. 70-year-old Charlie Duncan was a Vietnam War veteran who lived alone with his dog on Robertson Loop Road southeast of Louisville. Arnold called 911 and alerted emergency responders to propane tanks likely saving them from harm.
“They sent some people out here and they all came up here,” Arnold said. “I said there’s some propane tanks in the back. They all said propane! And they all jumped in their cars and moved them back there.”
He took Duncan to the store recently to get the tanks and says he feels some guilt now.
“I took him to go get this gas and to get an electric heater the day before that and grocery shopping because he doesn’t drive and then the house blew up so that’s been bothering me but I take him every year to get gas,” he said.
The fire department urges people to be very careful this winter season when dealing with propane tanks.
Funeral arrangements are still being made for Mr.Duncan.