JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) - Several local water associations have been awarded funds to help them better serve their community.
A total of nine awards were granted to Mississippi from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
This includes the following local departments.
City of New Albany - $7.9 million loan and $6.2 million grant will allow the city to construct a new mechanically-based wastewater treatment plant and renovate failing components of the city’s existing wastewater treatment system.
Prairie Land Water Association, Columbus - $2.6 million loan and $1.8 million grant to improve public and environmental safety through a system to convey wastewater from three existing subdivisions in Lowndes County to the Golden Triangle Industrial Park wastewater collection system and treatment.
Mount Comfort Water Association, Bruce - $2.9 million loan and $937,000 grant to construct a new water supply well, a 100,000-gallon elevated water storage tank and radio read meters. The project will also entail an expanded distribution area and efforts to address water pressure issues.
Hayes Creek Water Association, Winona - $1.2 million loan to support the construction of a new 300-gallon-per-minute water well with a 10,000-gallon Hydro-Pneumatic tank, treatment equipment, water distribution lines and a generator for the Lodi System.
Bond Water Association, Louisville - $1.4 million loan to support the construction of a new 300-gallon-per-minute water well, install new water distribution lines to replace aged and undersized lines, install new radio read meters, and rehabilitation of two treatment plants.
Others include Marshall County Water Association (Byhalia), Hiwannee Water Association (Waynesboro), City of Moorhead, Fannin Water Association (Brandon).
- Local water departments receive funds to improve
- Local fire department to receive funds
- More local airports to receive funds for improvements
- Senators: Tupelo, Columbus fire departments receiving funds
- 12 airports in Mississippi to receive funds for improvements
- 3 local airports receiving grants to make improvements
- Two local water systems getting federal money for improvements
- Local Baptist hospitals receive funds to provide mammograms
- Feds free up funds for local water upgrades
- Water systems in Lee and Winston counties receive millions in funding