TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - One out of every five children go hungry in the Tupelo and Lee County area but the Tupelo-Lee County Hunger Coalition is working to change those statistics.
Thanks to generous donations, the hunger coalition will touch the lives of 600 children this summer.
More than 300 volunteers packed food boxes for these children. Food boxes contain a snack, a lunch, a breakfast and weekend meals for the family.
The food boxes will be distributed on a weekly basis for the next nine weeks.
A second packing date will be scheduled to finish the remainder of the food boxes needed.
WTVA's Katrina Berry volunteered with the organization to help pack boxes.
- Local volunteers work to fight childhood hunger
- Local youths honored for volunteer work
- Local organization fights back against bullying
- State presents local volunteer firefighter with lifesaving award
- Construction contracts awarded for local MDOT work
- TCPS athletes volunteer in community
- The new 'Hunger Games' book finally has a name
- Local schools named 'Great Colleges to Work For'
- Contracts awarded for local road construction, maintenance work
- Skilled to Work: Local business offers job opportunity to veterans