JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) - Two local spellers from the Golden Triangle were among the final four standing at the state spelling bee.
The Mississippi Spelling Bee was held Tuesday on the campus of Jackson State University.
Julia Scholemer of Overstreet Elementary School in Starkville and Chloe Barr of Heritage Academy in Columbus were among the final four.
Scholemer was put out by misspelling "casita."
Barr misspelled the word "carbonara."
The winner was Vaibhavi Mahajan of Northwest Rankin Middle School.
- Local spellers reach final rounds of state spelling bee
- Bee population ups and downs
- Scientists say bees can do basic math
- UMMC, Vanderbilt reach agreement
- Top-seeded MSU earns second-round win over Oklahoma State
- Michigan State and Nassar victims reach $500M settlement
- These are the hardest-to-spell words in the English language
- Mississippi, Nutt say they've reached lawsuit settlement
- Houston Nutt, Ole Miss reach settlement
- Saints' Brew reaches milestone in serving