JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) – One local school has been honored for being one of the healthiest in the state.
On Monday, The Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi Foundation announced the winners of the fourth annual Healthy School Awards.
According to the foundation, Ocean Springs High School was named “The Healthiest School in Mississippi.” It will receive $50,000 to enhance its wellness programs.
The foundation also lists Oxford Intermediate School and Poplarville Lower Elementary School. Each will receive $25,000 for their wellness programs.
The winners are judged by an independent panel of Mississippi leaders in education and youth services.
The foundation annually recognizes public schools with health policies and programs that promote healthy eating, physical activity and healthy eating, among other things.
The criteria for this award are based on state and national school health standards.
The award’s goal is to motivate Mississippi schools as they create and maintain a healthy school environment.
- Local school honored for being among healthiest in state
- Hawaii named healthiest state, Louisiana ranks last in new report
- Highway renamed to honor local football great
- Local educators honored for humanities instruction
- Local youths honored for volunteer work
- Local former police officer honored in Washington
- Town & Tower Club honors local leaders
- State flags lowered to honor Barbara Bush
- State education leaders to visit local A-graded schools
- Memorial held to honor local flight nurse killed in crash