TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) – With the holiday season here, law enforcement agencies are reminding people to look out for one another during the holiday hustle and bustle.
“If you know your neighbor or family member is going out of town, help keep an eye on their home, even if it’s just for a few hours,” said Tishomingo County Sheriff John Daugherty.
Amory Police Chief Ronnie Bowen says his department will be glad to keep a check on citizens’ residences in their absence.
“Place a call to the communications center (662-256-2676) at the (Amory) police department to be placed on the house watch patrol list,” Bowen said.
Sheriff Daugherty says his department has had several reports of homes being burglarized. He says if something doesn’t look right in your community, to contact your local law enforcement agency or 911.
“Criminals love this time of year, so be on alert,” Daugherty said. “Also, the phone scams are picking back up in our area due to the upcoming holiday season.”
"In a college town, it is compounded by a large portion of the population being temporary residents," stated Brandon Lovelady with the Starkville Police Department. "One of the things we try to do is have officers increase patrols in apartment complexes and neighborhoods. Some of the holiday time we temporarily move personnel to specifically work on a bicycle, on foot, or in cars in areas that are potential burglary targets. We also will be increasing digital surveillance systems for the holidays."
Starkville police remind people to ensure all doors and windows are locked, put lights/radio/TV on a timer to make it appear someone is home, plus have all packages delivered to another person.
Check with your local law enforcement agency for any additional holiday security tips in your area.
- Local law enforcement remind people of holiday criminals
- People falling for scam involving someone posing as law enforcement
- Local law enforcement to help residents properly dispose prescription drugs
- Mississippi Highway Patrol reminding drivers of 'move over' law
- Chase involving law enforcement ends with arrest
- Law enforcement search for escaped inmate
- Man charged after fleeing from law enforcement
- Law enforcement investigate fire at Walmart
- Chase with law enforcement ends in Derma
- Federal law enforcement serve multiple search warrants