TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - Ham operators are manning their stations in the Tupelo Veterans Museum which located in the back of the Oren Dunn City Museum at Ballard Park.
The amateur radio operators are in touch with other ham operators from Florida and up the East Coast, checking on people in harm's way and relaying messages to others.
Allen Sudduth leads the way with this group of men.
He said they can relay information to the Salvation Army, Red Cross, and other emergency entities.
Ham operators can also relay safe and wellness messages for those who are worried about loved ones when other communication lines like cell phones are down.
- Local amateur radio operators ready to help during Hurricane Dorian
- Local firefighters part of Hurricane Dorian response team
- Hurricane Dorian picks up steam, menaces Florida
- Sentence handed down for local drug operation
- Tropical Storm Dorian could become a hurricane by Tuesday as it threatens Puerto Rico
- Puerto Rico is under a tropical storm warning and a hurricane watch as Dorian approaches
- As Hurricane Dorian hits North Carolina's Outer Banks, hundreds could be stranded there, official says
- Dorian may be moving away, but there are still two months left of hurricane season
- Puppy found alive in rubble one month after Hurricane Dorian hit the Bahamas
- Hurricane Statistics Fast Facts