Lightning sparks fire that destroys Tupelo home

Updated Article - Lightning is believed to have caused a house in south Tupelo to catch fire.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 8:42 AM
Updated: Jul 18, 2019 11:07 AM

TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - Lightning is believed to have caused a house in Lee County to burst into flames.

Firefighters from Tupelo, Palmetto and Verona responded to the house fire Wednesday morning.

The home is located on Oliver Circle, which is located at the city limit of Tupelo and Verona.

Tupelo Fire Chief Thomas Walker said lightning woke up the homeowner at approximately 4:30. The homeowner went outside and saw her roof on fire.

Walker said firefighters battled the blaze for approximately five hours.

Charlene Bishop had lived at the residence since its construction in 2000. 

Lauren Bishop said the home security company ADT called her grandmother and informed her the upstairs fire alarms were active.

“When the fire department got here, she was actually sitting on the swing on the front porch waiting on them. They told her to get out," Lauren Bishop said.

Article Comments

Tupelo
Clear
82° wxIcon
Hi: 94° Lo: 73°
Feels Like: 87°
Columbus
Clear
77° wxIcon
Hi: 89° Lo: 73°
Feels Like: 78°
Oxford
Clear
77° wxIcon
Hi: 95° Lo: 72°
Feels Like: 79°
Starkville
72° wxIcon
Hi: 88° Lo: 69°
Feels Like: 72°
WTVA Radar
WTVA Temperatures
WTVA Severe Weather