TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) Vitalant, a blood donation location in Tupelo, has declared a critical situation due to the lack of O-negative blood stocked in its shelves.
Communication Specialist Jared Luent said they always plan to have four days worth on their shelves but are currently with less than half of that.
"O-neg is very important and critical when there are emergency situations whenever there isn't time to type a patient,” Luent said. “Doctors reach for that O-neg first, so that's always the first thing they want to see on their shelf.”
Luent said since O-negative is a universal donor, it helps speed up the process.
"During the holiday, everybody tries to spend time with their families, increased road traffic but also during that time, accidents happen,” he said. "It's important that the blood is already donated before those accidents happen so it's there when it's needed."
If you would like to help, you can reach out to Vitalant’s Tupelo location on 4326 South Eason Blvd.
- Lee County in "critical need" of O-negative blood donors
- Blood donors receive voucher for turkey or ham
- St. Jude Blood Donor Center saves lives one bag at a time
- UPDATE: Lee County road reopens
- Fire destroys Lee County home
- Lee County judge sworn in
- Thanksgiving Blood Drive
- Lee County reopens County Road 54
- State reports healthy air in Lee County