Photo Gallery 2 Images
SHANNON, Miss. (WTVA) - Two people are dead in an officer-involved shooting in Shannon Thursday morning, according to Lee County Sheriff Jim Johnson.
Police responded to a call at Griggs Store on Romie Hill Avenue in Shannon just before 6:00.
Kentorrey Sims | Source: Facebook
A woman ran into the store saying she was scared someone would hurt her, the sheriff said.
Shortly after, a man came in and fatally shot her.
A Shannon police officer, who was on duty at the store, fatally shot the man.
The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation, the Shannon Police Department and Lee County Sheriff's Department are investigating.
Lee County Coroner Carolyn Green later identified the man and woman as Kentorrey Sims, 32, and Shaharah Coggins, 38.
Green sent both bodies to Pearl for autopsies.
The sheriff said no one else in the store was harmed.
WTVA spoke with a grandmother who said her pregnant granddaughter was working inside the popular eatery when the shooting erupted.
"She said the girl had just come into the back and told her, ‘Today I feel like he’s going to shoot me, kill me.’ And he did,” the grandmother said. “And it was a good thing the cop was in there. She’s four months pregnant. She jumped under whatever she could. I’m just upset. I’m just upset.”
The grandmother, who didn't want to be named, said her granddaughter went to the hospital for observation.
Law enforcement officers on the scene also had to break up a minor fight among a few on-lookers.
- Coroner identifies man, woman killed in Shannon shooting
- Coroner identifies Tupelo shooting victim
- UPDATE: Coroner identifies Monroe County shooting victims
- Coroner: Amory woman killed in morning crash
- Shannon man faces drug charges
- UPDATE: Missing Shannon man found
- UPDATE: Coroner identifies pedestrian killed on Highway 45
- Union Coroner: Man killed in ATV accident
- Coroner: Big Creek man killed in wreck
- Tippah County coroner identifies deceased in church shooting